DANVILLE – Residents from throughout the Tri-Valley will converge on the Town of Danville July 4 to enjoy one of Danville’s great traditions, the Annual Kiwanis July 4 Parade.
*From the Town of Danville:*
Thousands are expected to attend the upcoming Kiwanis July 4 Parade in downtown Danville. The annual event, a long-standing tradition in the Town, will get underway at 9:00 a.m. at the north end of Hartz Avenue. The parade goes down Hartz Avenue, turns south on San Ramon Valley Boulevard and ends near Sycamore Valley Road.
Over 100 groups are entered to walk in the parade, which takes from 2-3 hours to wind its way through the entire route. For more information on the parade, go to www.srvkiwanis.org/parade/.
As in previous years, residents are asked NOT to use chalk or tape to reserve their seating along the parade route. Maintenance Services Director Jed Johnson said due to EBMUD water restrictions, as well as federal stormwater guidelines, powerwashing the chalk marks would require use of recycled water and specialized equipment to keep the water out of the storm drains.
“To be able to powerwash the entire parade route, under the current guidelines, would be cost prohibitive,” said Johnson.
Chalking and taping are not approved methods of setting aside a spot along the parade route. Residents are asked to wait until 6:00 p.m. on July 3, 2017 to put chairs along the route. During the afternoon on July 3, Maintenance Services staff, with support from the Danville Police Department, will sweep the parade route and remove any chairs put out before the 6:00 p.m. deadline.
Danville Town Manager Joe Calabrigo said, “ I hope that our community will do all it can to preserve and maintain the beauty of our downtown by not marking out spots and refrain from putting out chairs prior to 6:00 p.m. Monday night.” He added, “Let’s all work together to keep Danville a wonderful place to live locally.”
*End of Town Press Release*
A local citizen-run Instagram account, @DanvilleCA, reminded people to not chalk the sidewalk after a family allegedly marked their place with chalk Friday afternoon, nearly 4 days before the parade.
In case you didn't know, using chalk to claim your 4th Of July spot along the #DanvilleCA parade route is breaking the rules. Also, claiming a spot with chairs is not permitted until 6:00 PM, July 3. It's all fun and part of the tradition, but seriously? These people are using chalk and it's June 30?! 🤔🎉💥🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
*More from the town: *
Parking is available at several municipal lots including:
- Front Street Municipal Parking Lot
- Railroad Avenue Municipal Parking Lot
- Clock Tower Parking Lot
- Park and Ride Lot on Sycamore Valley Road
- Danville Library/Community Center Parking Lot
- Disabled patron parking is available at Diablo Road at Front Street.
Street Closures: Closures are scheduled from 6:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- Danville Boulevard between El Cerro Boulevard and Railroad Ave.
- Railroad Ave. between Hartz Ave. and Love Ln.
- Love Lane between Railroad Ave. and Verona Ave.
- La Gonda Way between El Cerro Boulevard and Danville Blvd.
- Hartz Avenue between Railroad Ave. and Hartz Way
- San Ramon Valley Boulevard between Hartz Way and Sycamore Valley Rd.
- Westbound Sycamore Valley Road and Remington Loop between San Ramon Valley Boulevard and Sheri Ln.
Through traffic may utilize:
- Danville Boulevard from El Cerro Boulevard north
- San Ramon Valley Boulevard south of Sycamore Valley Road West